OTHER TEST REQUEST NAME:
• Sex Hormone Binding Globulin
• Testosterone-estrogen Binding Globulin (TeBG)
May be used to help evaluate men for low testosterone and women for excess testosterone production. It may be ordered in conjunction with other tests to evaluate the status of a person's sex hormones.
• Specimens from patients who have received preparations of mouse monoclonal antibodies for diagnosis or therapy may contain human anti-mouse antibodies (HAMA). Specimens containing HAMA may produce anomalous values when tested with assay kits that employ mouse monoclonal antibodies.
• Heterophilic antibodies in human serum can react with reagent immunoglobulins, interfering with in vitro immunoassays. Patients routinely exposed to animals or to animal serum products can be prone to this interference, and anomalous values may be observed.
• High protein concentration on plasma samples interferes with the assay.